The Early Years
Colorado College Hockey got its start in January of 1938, when the Broadmoor Hotel converted its seldom-used indoor riding academy into an ice rink. The Broadmoor World Arena, originally called the Broadmoor Ice Palace, served as CC's home for 55 seasons before being demolished at the conclusion of the 1993-94 campaign. In 2007-08 the Tigers celebrate their 70th anniversary season with an all-time record of 1,019-1,033-95 in 2,147 games played against outside competition.
Back in 1938, thanks to sponsorship from local business firms, eight inexperienced teams including one from CC were able to organize the Pikes Peak Hockey League.
Evolution as a powerhouse
Due to World War II, no games were played in 1942-43 or '43-44, but the sport was rejuvenated at Colorado College and nationwide in 1944-45. With the return of former players and the addition of seven more Canadians, the Tigers quickly were on the rise again. Cheddy Thompson, who came to Colorado Springs when he was assigned to 2nd Air Force Headquarters here, took over the coaching duties in the fall of 1945 and held the position for the next decade.
In cooperation with the Broadmoor Hotel, Colorado College sponsored the first National Collegiate Athletic Association Hockey Championships at the end of the 1947-48 season. The tournament would be held at the Ice Palace for the next 10 years, with CC participating seven times - in 1948, '49, '50, '51, '52, '55 and '57. Thompson was at the helm when CC won its first NCAA championship in 1950 and finished as runner-up in 1952 and '55. He was named national Coach of the Year in 1952 by the United States Hockey Coaches Association.
In 1951, Colorado College helped found the Mid-West Collegiate Hockey League, which changed its name to the Western Intercollegiate Hockey League in 1953. Other charter members were the University of Denver, Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota and North Dakota. The WIHL evolved to become the Western Collegiate Hockey Association in November of 1959, with the present-day WCHA consisting of five of its original seven teams plus the University of Wisconsin, Minnesota-Duluth, St. Cloud State University and Alaska Anchorage.
In 2002-03 the Tigers reclaimed possession of the fabled MacNaughton Trophy as WCHA regular-season champions, then reigned as co-champs in 2004-05. It was their eighth title overall and fifth in the last decade, as they had won an unprecedented three consecutive crowns in the mid-1990s (1993-94, ’95-96 and ’96-97). CC’s three previous league titles came in the 1950s (1951-52, ’54-55 and ’56-57). In 1956-57 Colorado College also wrapped up its second NCAA championship under coach Tom Bedecki.